Clove is known as a spice. Cloves have a sweet aroma thanks to a compound called ‘eugenol’ in them. This spice is very useful as a medicine but sometimes it can become a cause of danger. If you are thinking of eating raw cloves daily, you must be aware of their side effects.
Cloves are the dried flowers of the clove plant, used to add natural flavor to different food sources. It is scientifically known as Syzygium aromaticum. In terms of natural remedies, cloves are known for numerous health benefits. But eating too much clove can be dangerous for your health, say experts. Let’s know about eating raw cloves daily side effects.
Eating Raw Cloves Daily
Clove and its oil have been used medicinally in Ayurveda for years. According to experts, eating 2 cloves daily is good for the body. However, it additionally makes a few likely side impacts.
Some Health Benefits of Raw Cloves:
- Digestive Aid: Raw cloves are believed to stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, aid digestion and relieve digestive discomfort.
- Immune Support: Antioxidants in cloves can contribute to strengthening the immune system and protecting the body from oxidative stress.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Eugenol, the active compound in cloves, has been studied for its potential anti-inflammatory effects, which may be beneficial for people dealing with inflammatory conditions.
- Dental Health: Cloves have traditionally been used for oral health, and eugenol’s antimicrobial properties can help fight bacteria in the mouth, contributing to fresher breath and healthier gums.
- Blood sugar control: Some research suggests that cloves may help control blood sugar levels, which may be of interest for diabetes risk or management.
- Pain relief: The analgesic properties of cloves have led to their use in topical pain-relief products, and some believe that eating them can provide similar benefits.
Related Article: 10 Natural Antibiotics for Skin Infections
Side Effects of Eating Raw Cloves Daily:
Although raw cloves contribute many health benefits, it is essential to exercise caution while incorporating them into your daily routine. Eating raw cloves in large amounts or for long periods of time may cause some side effects, including:
Raw cloves are strongly aromatic and spicy, which may be overwhelming for some individuals. Eating too much raw clove can cause upset stomach, heartburn or even gastritis in sensitive individuals.
Cloves contain compounds that have blood thinning properties. Although it may be beneficial for those prone to blood clots, excessive consumption may increase bleeding or conflict with blood-thinning medications.
Liver and Kidney Health:
Some of the compounds in the clove are metabolized in the liver and kidneys. Eating too much can stress these organs, especially in people with pre-existing liver or kidney problems.
Like any food, cloves can cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms can include itching, rash, and even anaphylaxis in severe cases.
Cloves, especially in concentrated form, may interact with medications such as anticoagulants, antidiabetic drugs, or certain antibiotics. It is better to consult a doctor before eating raw cloves daily basis.
Although cloves are used for oral health, frequent consumption of raw cloves can lead to dental problems. High concentrations of compounds can damage tooth enamel or irritate oral tissues.
Related article: Chickpeas benefits and side effects
However, to get the benefits of cloves, you should not eat large amounts of cloves. Studies have shown that many people put cloves in their mouths for no reason, which will bring more harm than good to the body in your life. People with low blood sugar levels should never eat too much cloves. Because in their case, excessive consumption of cloves can cause hyperglycemia. Many doctors believe that in those with allergy problems, eating cloves may cause rashes or itching. Experts advise refraining from eating cloves in such situations.
Hopefully, you have learned about the benefits and side effects of eating raw cloves from the article Eating Raw Cloves Daily and Its Side Effects. Remember, how much to use to cure any disease is subject to the permission of the doctor.